Our Teen Mums’ programme began on 18th October, and through a trial and error approach and lots of prayer, is growing and forming and flourishing.
- We’ve had 6 young Mums attend, 5 regularly, with 7 children between them…and more on the way!
- We’ve had 8 sessions, including a Christmas Party.
- We’ve learnt about Abraham, Esther, the birth of Jesus, Noah, Psalm 139, and Creation, keeping our keys themes as ‘fearfully and wonderfully made’ and ‘God has a great plan for our lives, you are important to God.’ It has been so encouraging to see how engaged and inspired the Mums have been by these messages so far.
- We’ve made bracelets, photo frames, Christmas baubles, handprint pictures and more! The girls have loved making the crafts so much they sometimes don’t want to leave.
- We’ve eaten countless biscuit and banana snacks and drank a lot of tea, even the babies.
- We’ve celebrated 3 birthdays.
- We’ve had conversations about relationships, baby care, and baby health.
- We’ve seen and charted baby weight growth with our baby scales.
- We’ve learnt 4 new songs.
- And we’ve only had 2 tantrums, 3 stinky nappies and no broken toys!
For the new year, we have many exciting plans including: giving each girl a scrapbook so she can record her and baby’s time with us, sharing more Bible stories building on the theme of God caring for us, and having ‘guest speakers’ (volunteers who are also nurses/Mums) come and share what they know about breastfeeding, baby hygiene and more!
It has honestly been a joy and such a privilege, with the lovely Lidia and Steffi alongside me, to get to know these young Mums and babies and to see how much they’re already starting to grow and feel encouraged. I’m so excited to see what more God has in store for us this next year.
Please continue to pray for relationships to grow, for the girls to feel strengthened and empowered in the love God has for them, and for God’s wisdom for us in leading, planning and in reaching out and meeting the needs of these precious Mums and babies.
~Written by Sarah Peters, Teen Mums Project Manager